These Amazing Tuna Melt Cheese Baguettes will explode your tastebuds! Super simple to make and unbelievably delicious! You’ll just love our best tuna melt recipe!
Tuna Cheese Melt Baguette
These cheesy tuna melt baguettes have been playing on my mind since visiting the Kynance Cove beach cafe and eating my way through a plateful there!
Way better than cheese on toast! This super tasty toasted baguette is stuffed with a mouthwatering combination of big meaty tuna flakes mixed with flavoursome basil pesto and then topped with handfuls of tangy mature cheddar cheese then cooked in the oven until bubbling and delicious.
This chunky cheesy tuna melt baguette is a satisfying lunchtime treat and a great canned tuna recipe! Everyone should have a few good canned tuna recipes, right?
Sure you could add some greens – our tuna cheese melt baguettes are nice served with maybe a little dressed salad or perhaps a handful of cherry tomatoes or cucumber sticks and maybe serve with a fresh juice if you wanted to squeeze in some fruit & veggie portions.
What’s the best cheese for tuna melt?
Well I just LOVE Cheddar cheese, a good strong tangy mature Cheddar cheese is delicious for tuna melt sandwiches.
But… there’s lots of other great melting cheeses you could try… if you can get it – then do try Taleggio it’s Italian flavour and vibe goes really well with the pesto infused tuna.
Tuna Cheese Melt Ingredients
- 2 part baked sandwich baguettes – you can just pick these up in the supermarket – I usually keep a pack in the cupboard at home, they tend to have a long use by date on them and they’re great for french bread pizza too.
- 2 x 160g cans of tuna – choose a tin of no-drain tuna so it’s not too soggy on your melt sandwich.
- 3 tbs basil pesto – feel free to use tomato pesto if you prefer.
- 1 tbs mayonnaise – at our house it has to be Hellmann’s Mayonnaise.
- 150g cheddar cheese grated – choose a mature cheddar, it tastes better on the melt sandwich.
How to make our best tuna melt recipe
- Preheat the oven to 200C (or whatever temperature is says on the part baked baguette cooking instructions)
- Open the cans of tuna and tip them into a dish. Add in the mayonnaise.
- Tip the basil pesto into the tuna and mayonnaise mixture.
- Make the tuna sandwich filler – Mix the tuna, basil pesto and mayonnaise together so that all the tuna is covered well in pesto and mayonnaise.
This makes a great tuna sandwich filler recipe just as it is for eating on cold sandwiches or using up in a tuna salad.
- Put the part baked baguettes onto a baking tray and slice them down the middle and gently pull the baguettes open. Be careful not to cut all the way through otherwise the tuna sandwich filling with fall out the bottom.
- Stuff the baguettes with the tasty pesto tuna sandwich filler.
- Sprinkle the grated mature cheddar cheese all over the tops of the tuna stuffed baguettes.
- Bake in the oven for around 10-12 minutes or until the bread is cooked through, the tuna properly piping hot throughout and the cheese melted and bubbling.
- Add a sprinkling of chopped flat leaf parsley or basil to the melted cheese.
- Serve your tuna cheese melt baguettes with a nice bowl of salad and a glass of fresh juice.
Love to eat Italian food? Try out more of our easy Italian recipes here
Make tuna cheese melts your way
You can use our tuna cheese melt recipe as a basic idea and take it in different flavour directions to suit your own tastes – it’s your sandwich eat in your way! Try…
- choose different favoured pesto – try rocket, sun dried tomato or even coriander and lemon.
- Try granary bread, bagels or seeded baguettes – poppy or sesame
- Go with different cheese – maybe blue cheese or a sweet nutty jarlsberg
- Spice things up with a splash of tabasco sauce or pinch of chilli flakes.
LOVE canned tuna recipes? Try these:
Looking for canned tuna recipes for dinner – we’ve got you covered.
Five tasty and super easy canned tuna recipes to try – features tuna pasta bake, potato wedge melt, Tuna Nicoise and more!
Get loads of lunch recipes and ideas here
LOVE great sandwich recipes? Try these:
Love sandwiches – get lots more sandwich recipes and ideas here
- Easy Coronation Chicken Baguette – use leftover roast chicken in a tasty spicy curried dressing to create this mouthwateringly good deli style sandwich.
- Ham and Cheese Sliders – feed a crowd quickly and throw together a tray of tasty ham and cheese sliders. Total hit with the kids.
- Ultimate BLT – do brunch at home with our ultimate BLT – delicious creamy avocado with crispy bacon and salad. OH MY YUM!
- Chicken Tikka Sandwich – use your leftover roast chicken to create a delicious deli style tikka sandwich.
- 2 part baked baguettes
- 2 160g cans of tuna
- 3 tbs basil pesto
- 1 tbs mayonnaise
- 150g Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Mix the tuna, pesto and mayonnaise together.
- Split the baguettes all along the middle and gently pull the bread open.
- Stuff with tuna and top with the grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for around 10-12 minutes or until the bread is cooked, the tuna piping hot throughout and the cheese melted and bubbling.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 781Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 1345mgCarbohydrates: 86gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 51g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Save our delicious tuna cheese melts to Pinterest for later!
Love quick and convenient meals? Get our tinned tuna recipes here