Switch the beef for turkey and cook up a panful of delicious, low fat, turkey bolognese. This healthy twist on the classic bolognese is packed with flavour and super simple to make.
A healthy twist on the classic bolognese sauce
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 small red onion - finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic - finely chopped
- 2 carrots - finely diced
- 1 sweet pointed pepper - finely diced
- 400g turkey mince - choose breast mince for lower fat content
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbs tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Spaghetti to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium heat, toss in the onions, garlic and carrot and sauté for 10 minutes to soften.
- Add the turkey mince and peppers. Cook for around 5 minutes, stirring often to break up the meat.
- Tip in the tomatoes, sugar, tomato puree, dried herbs and season with salt and black pepper.
- Bring the bolognese to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer with the lid on for around 30 minutes.
- Serve tossed through freshly cooked spaghetti.
Make turkey bolognese your way
- Need to make it stretch further, add a can of lentils.
- Pack in some more veggies – try adding courgette or mushrooms.
How to serve turkey bolognese
- Serve for dinner tossed through freshly cooked pasta.
- Use to top baked potatoes, add a sprinkling of cheese.