Switch the beef for turkey and cook up a panful of delicious, low fat, turkey bolognese. This healthy twist on the classic bolognese is packed with flavour and super simple to make.
A healthy twist on the classic bolognese sauce
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 small red onion - finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic - finely chopped
- 2 carrots - finely diced
- 1 sweet pointed pepper - finely diced
- 400g turkey mince - choose breast mince for lower fat content
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbs tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Spaghetti to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium heat, toss in the onions, garlic and carrot and sauté for 10 minutes to soften.
- Add the turkey mince and peppers. Cook for around 5 minutes, stirring often to break up the meat.
- Tip in the tomatoes, sugar, tomato puree, dried herbs and season with salt and black pepper.
- Bring the bolognese to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer with the lid on for around 30 minutes.
- Serve tossed through freshly cooked spaghetti.
Make turkey bolognese your way
- Need to make it stretch further, add a can of lentils.
- Pack in some more veggies – try adding courgette or mushrooms.
How to serve turkey bolognese
- Serve for dinner tossed through freshly cooked pasta.
- Use to top baked potatoes, add a sprinkling of cheese.
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
Love to eat Italian food? Try out more of our easy Italian recipes here
Browse all our meat recipes here
Get loads more delicious easy pasta dishes here
Get all our delicious healthy turkey mince recipes here