illy coffee pots make fab little rocket & herb growing pots for in the kitchen. The pot sits snuggly in its own lid and so catches drainage water.
What you need:
- Empty coffee tins
- Rocket or salad leaf seeds
- Hammer & nail
What you do:
- Buy nice illy coffee and maybe pick up a few other things whilst you’re in the shop….
- Sit and drink the nice coffee and maybe put up your feet and read or eat cake.
- When the above steps have been repeated several times you can now move on to the gardening bit.
- Use a hammer and a nail to pierce several drainage holes in the bottom of the illy pot.
- Fill with soil.
- Scatter with chosen seeds – I like rocket as it grows quickly and is great for rocket & mozzarella bruschetta.
- Water and place on nice sunny windowsill.
- Water when dry and generally wait. Probably best you busy yourself with things in the meantime….
- When the rocket grows well just chop it and eat.
- Whenever you chop your leaves – scatter a few more seeds (any salad leaf) to ensure plentiful supply.
A few lovely recipes to use your rocket in:
- Italian root vegetable salad
- Chorizo and cheese toasted sandwiches
A lovely quick homekeeping project.
Get more garden inspiration here
Get more home and garden tips here