Our very veggie spaghetti is perfect for midweek dinner, it’s quick and easy to make, counts towards your 5-a-day and tastes delicious.
In the time it takes to cook the spaghetti, just chop and cook up the Mediterranean style veggies and mingle everything together onto the plate. A really easy, healthy quick recipe.
Quick and tasty, healthy pasta recipe
- 200g spaghetti
- splash of olive oil
- pinch of sea salt
- knob of butter
- clove of garlic - finely chopped
- 1 courgette - cut into strips
- 2 pointed red peppers - cut into strips
- 1 small aubergine - cut into strips
- 150g asparagus - chopped into bitesize pieces
- 1 tsp fennel seeds - toasted and ground
- 200g cherry tomatoes - quartered
- handful of torn basil
- Parmesan to serve
- Put the spaghetti on to cook in a pan of boiling salted water, with a swirl of olive oil as per packet instructions.
- Add a splash of olive oil and knob of butter to a frying pan, tip in the garlic, courgettes, aubergine, pepper and asparagus and fry over a medium heat for around 7-8 minutes, until softened. Stir in the ground fennel seeds and mix well to spread the flavour.
- Turn off the heat and add the quartered tomatoes.
- Once the spaghetti has cooked, drain it in a colander and keep a little of the water in case you want to loosen the spaghetti.
- Mix everything together and tip onto plates.
- Scatter over torn basil and Parmesan shavings.
Make very veggie spaghetti your way…
- Add in different or more veggies, mushroom and fennel work well.
- Toss in some chorizo sprinkles or chopped ham.
- Try different pasta shapes.
- Add spice with a pinch of chilli flakes.
- Top with toasted flaked almonds or pine nuts.
- Skip the fennel and toss the spaghetti with pesto before adding the veggies.
How to serve very veggie spaghetti
- Serve just as it is in shallow bowls, maybe add a green side salad or garlic ciabatta slices.
- Serve alongside roast chicken as a lighter alternative to Sunday roast.
- Serve with grilled fish.
- Leftovers are fab cold next day as pasta salad.