I know it’s January but I still love my salads. This warm Mexican chicken salad is a perfect cold weather salad, tossed into the salad leaves whilst it’s still nice and warm and topped with a spicy fat free pepper dressing. Totally delicious and nutritious.
The Mexican chicken is super simple to make – just make a tin foil bag, drop in the chicken breast mini fillets and add a drizzle of olive oil, toss in smoked paprika, oregano, ground cumin and season well. Seal the parcel and bake in the oven for around 25 minutes.
Now, that fat free pepper dressing is really simple too and tastes amazing. Dry roast two peppers, two plump vine tomatoes and a red chilli. Once they’re charring, remove from the oven, blitz in the food processor with the juice of a lime, a handful of coriander and a pinch of salt.
I serve the chicken and pepper dressing still warm just layered onto a bowl of fresh salad leaves and topped with a sprinkling of sliced radish and spring onions.
Deliciously easy warm chicken salad with a zingy fat free dressing
- 400g chicken breast mini fillets
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- olive oil - salt and pepper
- 2 peppers - red or yellow
- 2 vine tomatoes
- 1 red chilli
- 1 lime - juiced
- Handful of chopped coriander
- Salad leaves
- 2 spring onions
- a few radishes thinly sliced
- Heat the oven to 200C.
- Make a parcel out of tin foil and drop in the chicken, add a drizzle of olive oil, the smoked paprika, oregano and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Seal the parcel and place on a baking tray in the oven - cook for around 25 minutes. Until the chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- For the dressing place the peppers, tomatoes and chilli onto a baking tray and dry roast in the oven for around 20 minutes until they are starting to char.
- Tip them into a food processor with the juice of a lime, the chopped coriander and a pinch of salt. Blitz to a puree.
- To serve add the salad leaves to a plate, top with the chicken, drizzle over the fat free pepper dressing, and sprinkle over the radishes and spring onions.
Make warm Mexican chicken salad your way
- Use salmon or tuna instead of chicken.
- Skip the chilli if you don’t like the heat.
- Throw on some additional toppings – chopped avocado, handful of black beans or cheese.
Love your leftovers
- The leftover fat free pepper dressing will keep in the fridge for a couple of days. Use in quesadillas, toasted cheese sandwiches or drizzle onto tacos.
Get our best chicken recipes here – perfect for weeknight dinner
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
Browse all our meat recipes here
Get more Mexican recipes here
Get more quick and easy meals here