Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Maple Syrup - Christmas Dinner Side Dish
The tasty way to cook sprouts!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Servings: 6 people
- 1 tbs Olive Oil
- 25 g Butter
- 1 Clove Garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 6 Slices Smoked Bacon fat removed and chopped into squares
- 600g Brussel Sprouts washed, peeled and chopped into quarters
- 1 tbs Chopped Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 100 ml White Wine (or just use water)
- 1 tbs Maple Syrup
Add the butter and olive oil to a large frying pan or skillet
Gently fry the bacon bits for around 5 minutes - then add the garlic, shredded sprouts and thyme leaves - gently fry for about 3-4 minutes.
Pour in the wine (or water) and then gently braise with the lid on over a low heat for around 5-8 minutes or until the sprouts are softened. Just keep an eye on the sprouts you may need to add a little more liquid if they start to dry out.
Remove the lid, turn up the heat, drizzle over the maple syrup and fry briskly to burn off any excess liquid and allow the sprouts to pick up a sweet caramelised taste.
Taste the sprouts and season with salt and black pepper as required. Tip into a serving dish to serve.