Yogurt week runs from 19 – 25th May launched by the Yogurt Council to celebrate all things yogurt – from snacking, breakfast to cooking up a feast of a dinner!
We Brits love our yogurt! Just check out these yogurty facts!
- One in five British consumers eat yogurt on a daily basis
- Almost two thirds of adults eat yogurt at least once a week
- In Britain, we purchased over 2.7 billion pots of yogurt in the last year, that’s 86 every second of every day. Which means 7.4 million pots are consumed everyday
- Brits eat enough yogurt every week to fill more than 3.5 Olympic size swimming pools – equivalent in weight to 4 x The London Eye or 737 double decker buses
- Brits consumed over 460,000 tonnes of yogurt in the last year, enough to fill the Royal Albert Hall more than 4.5 times
- In the UK we spent over £1.2 billion on yogurt in the last year, that’s £38 every second of every day
- Over 90% of British households purchased yogurt in the last year, that’s 23.9m households
Yogurt is something I do cook a lot with at home and so to celebrate the first dedicated Yogurt Week we’ve been getting creative in the kitchen with a pot of natural yogurt…. And this is what we’ve come up with a tasty simple kebab recipe – great for using on the BBQ or grilling indoors. The chicken is marinated and packed full of delicious punchy garlicky flavour complimented with fragrant coriander. To accompany this is a fab chilli spiked indian style salad – vibrant, light and tasty. And of course the meal needs MORE yogurt so I whipped up a super quick cucumber mint raita which was definitely needed after that spicy salad!
A deliciously summery recipe garlicky yogurt marinated kebabs, grilled and served over a chilli spiked salad. Healthy and delicious.
- For the garlic & coriander chicken kebabs
- 3 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
- 2 large handfuls of coriander - chopped
- 4 heaped tbs of natural yogurt
- salt & pepper
- 2 large chicken breasts - skin removed and cut into bite size pieces.
- 2 long kebab skewers
- For the chilli spiked Indian style salad
- half an iceberg (or a full little gem) lettuce - finely shredded
- 1/3 of a cucumber - cut into small strips
- 2 tomatoes - deseeded and chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 red pepper - chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 red onion - finely chopped
- large handful of coriander leaves - chopped
- small red chilli - finely sliced
- sea salt
- First make the kebab marinade - simply mix the yogurt, coriander and garlic together and season with salt and pepper.
- Tip the chicken pieces into the marinade and mix well to coat (you can leave this in the fridge for a few hours or cook straight away)
- Thread the chicken pieces onto the kebab sticks.
- Heat the grill/BBQ and cook gently on a medium-low heat for around 20 - 30 minutes until the chicken has no pink remaining.
- Whilst the chicken kebabs are cooking - make a start on the Indian style salad.
- Toss all the salad items into a bowl - sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and a squeeze of lemon.
- Mix up the cucumber & mint raita - combine the yogurt, mint leaves and cucumber in a small dish - add a grind of black pepper.
To serve scatter the salad onto a platter and place the kebabs on top - serve with the mint raita on the side - this is also nice with a bowl of simple pilau rice (yes I cheat... I buy the microwave rice bags)
Disclaimer: sponsored post on behalf of the Yogurt Council.