A quick and easy vegan chickpea curry recipe – cooks in just 20 minutes making it a super fast and healthy dinner – and there’s LOADS of delicious ways to serve it!
How to make vegan chickpea curry
Mmmm our vegan chickpea curry is so quick and delicious, not to mention low cost and nutritious to boot! Chickpeas have loads of healthy benefits.
Just fry and soften the onions, add in the ginger, garlic, chilli and spices then pour in your chickpeas and tinned tomatoes, season and simmer. So simple and so delicious!
What spices to use in chickpea curry
I keep a little stock of herbs and spices as cupboard staples – they’re such an easy way to make home cooking simple, low cost and tasty. For cooking a simple chickpea curry I tend to add
- cumin seeds (quickly pounded with a pestle and mortar)
- ground coriander
- ground cinnamon
- ground turmeric
- garam masala
If keeping a stock of spices isn’t for you then just keep a jar of curry paste in the fridge and add to your recipes – it’s your food, you’re the cook just do what suits you!
Delicious, quick and easy vegan chickpea curry
- Splash sunflower oil
- 2 onions - finely chopped
- thumb sized piece of ginger - peeled and grated
- 2 cloves of garlic - peeled and grated
- 1-2 green chillies - finely chopped
- 1 tbs garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (bashed in pestle and mortar)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tins chickpeas
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- salt and black pepper to season
- Add a splash of sunflower oil to a large pan and gently fry the onions for around 10 minutes to soften then. Add a pinch of salt it helps them soften quicker.
- Tip in the garlic, ginger, chillies and spices. Stir well.
- Tip in the tinned chickpeas and tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer with the lid off for 10 minutes.
What extra veggies can I add into chickpea curry?
Use our chickpea curry as a base and then throw in whatever extras you fancy! Veggies like…
- baby potatoes
Side dishes that go great with a curry
I love to serve curries with fresh and tasty side dishes, like….
- Cucumber mint raita (to keep this vegan use a soya based yogurt)
- Spicy Indian style salad
- Indian spiced potatoes (these are so moreish and delicious to eat cold too)
How to serve vegan chickpea curry
Well our chickpea curry is delicious served with rice, flatbreads and mint raita just like this…
But I also serve this a whole lot of other ways too…
- In pitta bread with salad and vegan yogurt
- In wraps with salad and tofu
- Stuffed into oven baked potatoes or sweet potatoes
- Served on top of nachos with soya cheese
More vegan dinner recipes for you to try…
- Vegan chipotle sweet potato chilli (advertisement feature recipe)
- Vegan burger with sweet potato wedges
- Vegan pasta with tomatoes and aubergines