A fabulous Autumn Squash Cake with Orange Spiked Cream Cheese Frosting – a totally delicious autumnal cake that’s super easy to make and totally yummy to eat!
Perfect autumn cake recipe
Autumn is the most delicious time of year! We’ve been busy in the kitchen cooking up a storm with the gorgeous seasonal squash that are available now.
This moist fruity squash cake is made using Harlequin squash (although your could use butternut squash if you like) It’s topped generously with a delicious orange spiked cream cheese frosting.
A perfect autumn cake, ideal for baking for Halloween or Bonfire Night. The smell of the squash cake whilst cooking is amazing, lovely warm wafts of sweet cinnamon – it’s so autumnal!
Do I need to peel the squash before baking in a cake?
Squash cake is easy to make and takes very little time – I don’t even peel the squash, I just grate it straight into the batter! I love a robust rustic cake – so much easier to make!
A moist and utterly delicious autumn squash cake with cream cheese frosting.
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 2 eggs
- 140g light brown sugar
- 180g self raising flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50g sultanas
- 150g grated squash - just weigh and grate don't peel it you can eat the peel.
- For the frosting
- 200g Philadelphia cream cheese
- 80ml double cream
- 100g icing sugar
- zest of an orange
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
- Add the sunflower oil and eggs to a large mixing bowl and mix well with a whisk.
- Tip in the sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking powder and mix with wooden spoon.
- Add the grated squash and sultanas, mix well.
- Tip cake batter into the loaf tin and bake for 40 - 50 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the tin then remove and top with the cream cheese frosting
- To make the frosting simply add the Philadelphia, double cream and icing sugar to a food processor and whizz until stiff and spreadable.
- Top the squash cake with the frosting in a rustic way then scatter with orange zest.
A perfect cake for an autumn afternoon with a cup of tea.
Make squash cake your way…
- No squash? Then use carrots or sweet potato.
- Skip the frosting and just dust with a little icing sugar.
More delicious easy cake recipes to try…
- Lemon and Poppy Seed Drizzle Cake
- Cheat’s Chocolate Cake
- Victoria Sandwich Cake with Raspberries and Cream